The climber’s coil is a traditional method used by climbers to store and transport a climbing rope.
Coiling rope for storage.
Climber’s coil, Mountaineer’s coil, Alpine coil, Lap coil, Standing coil.
1. Begin by taking hold of the rope in one hand with its end facing you.
2. Coil the rope in arm’s length sections with your free hand (extending it away from the other as far as it
will reach to ensure each segment is of equal length as it is gathered).
3. When the last segment is reached form a short bight atop the gathered rope with its standing end.
4. Grasp the working end and pass it over the bight and back through the center of the coiled rope in a round turn several
times, making each new wrap closer to the bight until only a short tail remains.
5. Pass this tail through the bight.
6. Then grasp the standing end and pull it away from the bight until it is cinched
tight around the working end.
7. For added security, ensure both ends are sufficiently long to tie them into a reef knot.